Saturday, October 4, 2008

October Awareness


There are lots of awareness efforts going on during the month of October.

Sensory Awareness Month
Each of our boys has Sensory Processing Disorder along with autism (the two often go together, but not always, it is possible to have one and not the other).




Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) affects how sensory input is perceived and can lead to being over-sensitive to certain sensations and/or under-sensitive to others. For example, Bearhug and Cuddlebug are sensitive to noisy crowds and Bitty cannot tolerate mushy food textures. On the flip side, both Little Bitty and Bearhug have a very high pain threshhold, often seeming to not even notice things that would be painful for most.

SPD can also affect how the senses combine to give one a sense of balance and position in space. This is something most of us take for granted and don't even realize our brains are doing, I know I had no clue until I started learning about SPD from our sons' OT's.


SPD Resources:
Sensory Processing Disorder: Signs and symptoms
Sensory Processing Disorder: Through the eyes of dysfunction
About SPD
S.I. Focus magazine
The Out-of-Sync Child

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October is also Down Syndrome Awareness month, as well as Breast Cancer Awareness month.


If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these links! Gosh, I'm still learning so much about SPD. I'm not going to try to get another label for Daniel, but I know he's got sensory processing "issues"...

Patty O. on October 12, 2008 at 3:55 PM said...

Thanks for the great post about SPD. I have written a couple posts about it. Do you mind if I put your link on my site? I am trying to spread the word....

danette on October 13, 2008 at 1:56 AM said...

@Patty - I don't mind at all, feel free!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin