Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Go check your schedule!"


Have I mentioned that we have awesome teachers? At his IEP meeting last week, I asked if I could take a look at the picture schedule they were using since I was also hoping to get some ideas to use at home, and she said Bitty was doing really well with it in class. Sure enough, when we went to look, he excitedly said, "go day-ga deh-goh!" (go check your schedule).

She actually offered to make us one for home if I sent her a list of words we'd want pictures for. She said she has a software program that makes it fairly quick and easy. We got the pictures yesterday, she laminated and velcro'd them for us, and gave us a velcro strip like they use in class to stick them to. It's so cool! And Bitty loves it, he stands there taking the pieces off and putting them back on, he loves having a visual schedule and it's great to have something that is consistent with what he uses at school.

Here's a picture of today's schedule - I did half a day at a time, then took those down and put the rest of the day up. Bitty was so excited this morning when he came into the kitchen to find his daily schedule all set up :). The first one is supposed to be "wake up" but he thought it was "bedtime" so I may not use that one for a while. There's a separate one for bedtime, with the eyes closed. We had an activity at church this morning, and went to the park after that. The weather has been beautiful, way too nice to stay indoors :).

I have a little photo album I'm going to put some velcro in and then we can take picture schedule pieces on the go too :).

I was back at the school this past week for curriculum night, and Bitty's teacher showed the parents the "green, yellow, red" charts she uses in class and talked about how all the kids are motivated to have their picture stay on green (it's another velcro chart). She had several of them around the room and offered to let the parents take some home if we thought it might be helpful. Another set of parents and I took her up on the offer. So far I've already used it once, Bitty started rolling around on the kitchen floor throwing one of his fits, and I went to the chart, pulled his picture off of green, and said (in my "mean mama" voice), "Do I need to put this on yellow??" He immediately stopped crying and said "no!" Wow...

It doesn't work without the visual though. He threw a fit today at our church activity and telling him I was going to move him to yellow (or even red) did absolutely nothing. I didn't have the chart with me, maybe I should start carrying around a smaller version of that too? Hmm...

If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

10 comments:

kristi on September 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM said...

That is so awesome!!

Anonymous said...

The schedule is great, and I especially love the chart! I remember my son's preschool teacher giving us materials to put up a schedule at daycare, and all the kids in the class loved to "check the schedule." :)

Elizabeth Channel on September 20, 2008 at 11:40 PM said...

That's neat. I need this for Sue.

OK, I tagged you for a major award! Come see at my site!

Alicia on September 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM said...

Love this-your teacher is great! Thanks for sharing!

Amazing_Grace on September 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM said...

Yes, a chart for Sunday School. That's the ticket. Have a portable one so you can use it everywhere you go and might need it. :)

Bridgette on September 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I love those picture charts. What a great idea!

hellokittiemama on September 21, 2008 at 9:19 PM said...

Oh I miss the days of visual schedule. My son really used his tons when he was in preschool and phased out sometime during kindergarten - we still used one at home for some time after.. have the 'picture steps' up in the bathroom for potty, handwashing, toothbrushing, and on his closet for dressing.

We didn't use the red/green/yellow at home but the teacher uses something like that at school and I've thought about bringing it home many a time!!!

Jenny on September 21, 2008 at 11:26 PM said...

You DO have great teachers!

So, I'm intrigued by the green/yellow/red chart. I think that is a fantastic visual! What happens if the picture gets moved to yellow or red? I'm assuming when you get to red, you face some sort of discipline? How did the teachers teach this concept to the kids? Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

I love - LOVE - the red, yellow, and green chart. That is just BRILLIANT!!! I am going to have to make one for us!

Hey, we have many of the same pictures for our picture schedule! LOL!!! BoardMaker is an awesome program!

Anonymous said...

this is way too cool! We are actually getting ready to start the "how hot is your engine" thing where they can communicate their moods to us - this will mostly be used with Little Man as he is the one with the ever changing moods that effect his day.

Keep up with the great work!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin