Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Silly Monkey Stories: Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoe



A couple of nights ago, Bearhug and Cuddlebug decided to play rock, paper, scissors (or "rock, papers, scissors, shoe" as they often call it, not sure where that came from) to decide what they wanted for dinner. I had to separate them because they CHEAT. Every time they got to the end, instead of choosing an option, both of their hands kept morphing as they watched each other to see what the other would choose. So I moved them where they couldn't see each other so we could get to a decision.


It reminded me of a few months ago when they first came up with idea to settle disputes this way. Here's the story out of my journal (names edited):

...on Tuesday I took the boys to the park after school. On the way there, Cuddlebug said “hey Mama, did you know we’re near my favorite park?” but unfortunately I’d forgotten about that park and was headed to another one. I asked if he wanted me to turn around and he said yes, then Bearhug said no, because “Wall park” (it’s not really called that but it has a big wall on one side so they call it that) is his favorite park. Ugh. I told them to agree on one or we’re going home. So they’re arguing about the park and then Bearhug said “I know, let’s do ‘paper, rock, scissors’ to decide.” I was impressed… but then Cuddlebug said “no, let’s do ‘eenie, meenie, miney, moe’ to decide” and then they were arguing about how to resolve their argument…

It gets better. Bearhug won out so they did paper, rock, scissors. He said “Ok [Cuddlebug], I picked scissors, what are you going to pick?” (ok, we need to work on the concept of how this game is supposed to be played). Cuddlebug said “I pick paper!” (ok, we REEEAAALLLY need to work on the concept of how this game works). Then he asked me why we were still heading for “wall” park, and was pretty disappointed when I told him “because scissors cut paper.” LOL, I did tell him we’d go to his favorite park next time. I was impressed that they were being so civil about it, most of the time they just start screaming and attacking each other.

For more Silly Monkey stories, visit 3 Garnets & 2 Sapphires.

If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

9 comments:

Unknown on September 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM said...

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog. Have been running out of time to read and comment on blogs like I want to, but I am trying to keep up and yours is great!

Karen Coutu on September 23, 2008 at 11:03 AM said...

I am extremely impressed by that also! I wonder at what age strategy kicks in as far as how to win a game? When I play Connect Four with my preschooler, he doesn't care if I point out that I'm about to win, he just keeps going without changing his plan of attack.

Thanks for sharing your Silly Monkey Story!!

Karen of the MomDot Street Team
www.MomDot.com

Debbie @ Three Weddings on September 23, 2008 at 4:15 PM said...

That sounds just like my house. Diva and MA can never agree on anything. I'll have to start doing the Rock, Paper, Scissor. I need to make sure Diva needs to know how to play, though!

The Farmer Files on September 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM said...

Hee hee...do they ever actually pick shoe?

Anonymous said...

ahhh, the twinness of it all. reminds me of me and my sis... and i always won. =)

MaricrisG on September 23, 2008 at 10:29 PM said...

LOL! That is just funny! Kids you just gotta love them! Sometimes, they're more mature than their parents! he he he. So good to be back here. I have been away from the blogging scene due to LIFE! But I'm getting better. come on over and join my earring giveaway. You might just be the lucky gal!

danette on September 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM said...

@dianna - thanks!

@farmer files - LOL, yes they used to both pick shoe. shoe stomps everything else... so then they'd have fun "stomping" each other and laughing. Haven't seen them pick shoe in a while though :).

Frogs' mom on September 24, 2008 at 3:23 AM said...

Really funny - LOL - but also really cool that they have moved on to new forms of problem solving on their own :0)

You've been awarded a Brilliante Weblog Award. Come on over to 4-frogs to pick it up!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander on September 24, 2008 at 10:29 AM said...

Wow, that is pretty cool! My kids aren't at the arguing stage yet. More like Izabel complains about her sister bothering her! LOL! I'll keep that game in mind as they get older though.

Great entry!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin