Tuesday, August 19, 2008

8 words you don't want to hear


at church are, “your son is screaming, and he’s half-naked.” Sigh. At least this time it was my 3-yr-old and not one of my 7-yr-olds. About 6 mos ago, someone sent one of the teenagers at church to get me when one of my twins was having a meltdown in the foyer. He said, with all the tact in the world, “I think your kid is going crazy or something.” Ugh.

I digress. Back to this past Sunday, and Little Bitty. This happened not 10 minutes after I’d left his nursery class, waited in the hall for a few minutes and not heard any screaming, so figured the coast was clear to go to my class. I had even told dh how proud I was that he was doing so well, as that was the earliest I’d been able to leave his class in a long time.


I went to his nursery class to get him and sure enough, he was screaming hysterically, his face and body were red, and he was in fact, half-naked. He’d pulled off his shirt and shoes. He was still wearing his pants and socks, though I’m sure those were next. One thing that is nice about Little Bitty is that he will sometimes actually calm down when I pick him up. Thankfully, this was one of those times. As soon as I picked him up, from the lap of the poor woman who’d been trying to calm him up to that point, he almost immediately started to settle down. After a few minutes, I was even able to get his shirt back on (I didn’t push my luck with the shoes). He was fine the rest of the time (yay!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear he was fine eventually. Maybe he just needed to make sure you would come back for him and he was testing it.

My son has always been so totally the opposite. It's not necessarily a good thing, but he is comfortable in any situation with any person even a stranger.

I have noticed him lately waiting for us to engage a situation before he dives in which is a good thing. He's 4 1/2.

danette on August 19, 2008 at 8:26 AM said...

Kim - yep, school started last week so I think he was still a little anxious over the change in routine. My older boys are the opposite too -- we could drop them off somewhere and they wouldn't even look back to wave. The downside of that is they were never afraid to wander off either, so we've had to watch them like a hawk. At least we don't have to worry about that with Bitty, he is usually latched onto me so that's one thing we don't have to worry about with him :).

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought that tantramming and clothing removal was only something my daughter did, and I actually mentioned it in a previous post. We've had difficulties at church in the past, too. I'm actually glad when another kid besides my own is having a meltdown - makes me feel better!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin