Friday, August 22, 2008

Chess Club's newest members


Cuddlebug and Bearhug decided to join the chess club at school this year. They are just learning how to play, and are really excited about it! They had their first Chess Club meeting the other day, where they learned about pawns. They had a lot of fun, when they got home the first thing they did was pull out the chess set to start practicing. I'm sure they'll be able to beat me at chess within a few months (if not sooner, lol).

The chess instructor said that one of them (he wasn't sure which) got a little distraught when one of his pawns was captured, but that he quickly recovered when he learned that he could return the favor :). He said he didn't realize they were twins so a while later he was talking to his brother not realizing it was his brother and not him. When he asked them if they were brothers, they said, "No... we're twins." LOL

Hopefully this will be a good opportunity for them not only learn how to play chess and practice their logic / strategy skills, but also to practice their social skills - sportsmanship, never giving up, and learning how to handle both victory and defeat graciously.

Yesterday I was asking them about it, and Bearhug mentioned, "the girl with the hands that make me feel good." Knowing Bearhug and his sometimes unusual descriptions, my first thought was that she had soft hands, but I asked him what he meant so he could clarify. He said, "When she took my pawn, and we shook hands and said, 'Good game.'"

Still curious, I asked, "So, do you mean her hands were soft, or that she was nice?" "Both!" he said excitedly. I thought it was cute that her hands apparently made such an impression, and I'm glad to hear that she's nice too. He didn't know who she was, or if she was also a 2nd grader, but I get the feeling he'll be looking for her next week at chess club...

3 comments:

Minxy Mimi on August 22, 2008 at 9:50 AM said...

UH OH!!! He likes girls already!!! LOL
I have a chess set but have not learned yet. I hope they have fun! and LOL on no, we are twins!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Penelope on August 22, 2008 at 12:06 PM said...

Oooh, chess! I'm jealous already! I've always wanted to learn, but I still haven't been able to. I love Bearhug's description: "The girl with the hands that make me feel good." It's too cute!


BTW- *blush* I actually saw The Dark Tower Series on your favorite books in your profile a couple days ago, and headed over to amazon to check them out. This ended up being a huge mistake because I then had to add the whole series, plus some other Stephen King books to my list! :)

Amazing_Grace on August 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM said...

I'm so glad that they had fun! :)

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin