Saturday, August 1, 2009

There are some things moms can't "fix"...


...and the rotation of the Earth on its axis is one of them.

So despite the disdain of a certain little boy (cough-Bitty-cough) for the time of day known as "nighttime" it nevertheless comes every 24 hours, without fail. And with it often comes bitter complaints and sometimes even a full-blown meltdown as denial kicks in (thankfully not every night though!).

"Iss daytime o' nighttime?"

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, I play dumb and send him to check for himself. "I don't know, go look out the window. Is it daytime or nighttime?"



He looks, sees the darkened sky, and returns with a mischievous grin.

"Iss daytime!"

"Are you sure? It looks like nighttime to me."

The problem with nighttime, of course, is that it inevitably leads to "bedtime" and that is a horror that must be resisted at all costs.

He looks outside again. The waterworks start. "Iss not daytime, iss niiiighttiiiime!" Tears of agony.

A few nights ago in the midst of a particularly intense meltdown, we heard rain begin pounding the walls and windows. I'm not sure what the problem with rain was, but he got even more upset than he already was. "No rainy, SUUUUNNYYYYY!" Wails of anguish. He looked outside and saw that it was pitch black. He decided to concede that it was in fact nighttime, but he was still protesting the rain. "No rainy, MOOOOONYYYY!"

LOL, as soon as he said it, I wondered, why don't we call a moonlight night "moony"? Shouldn't "moony" be the obvious nighttime equivalent of "sunny"? And why did I never think of that before?

Anyway, the meltdown went on for a while longer until he wore himself out, but the whole "moony" thing lightened my mood a bit anyway. :)






If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

9 comments:

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander on August 1, 2009 at 11:11 PM said...

Moony is a great way to describe those nights! Love it! And the shot too.

I am sure he will get better and going to bed won't look as dreary as it does now. :) I hated going to bed as a child. haha! Now, I SO LOOK forward to it.

Muthering Heights on August 1, 2009 at 11:33 PM said...

That's a very good point about the whole "moony" bit!

Floortime Lite Mama on August 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM said...

That was the CUTEST post ever
I feel like him too - I hate to sleep ( though i really need to ) There is always so much to do
Moonny makes perfect sense - I mean we say starry and sunny and cloudy and windy
Why leave the poor moon out ?

Elder Nate Mountain on August 2, 2009 at 9:43 PM said...

Moony it is!!!

Dora on August 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM said...

Nice shot u have!

Have a great week. :D

Anonymous said...

Cute and brilliant!!
LOVE THIS! Even though you had to endure a tantrum, reading this put such a smile on my face!

OneProudGrandma said...

what? Mom's can't fix the rotation of the earth's axis? Oh, Man!! I have to agree with "moony" - makes perfect sense!

UPrinting on August 4, 2009 at 1:43 AM said...

Moony! How clever :) Maybe he'll be more open to night time, and eventually bedtimes too, when it's called "moony". As a child, I really didn't like nighttime either, because somehow I always thought that there would be monsters lurking from the shadows, lol :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww! Poor kiddo! I couldn't help but smile, though! =)

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin