Saturday, August 15, 2009

SOOC Saturday: Textures


A couple of weeks ago, I took the boys to a local park with a fountain to splash in. Cuddlebug and Bearhug jumped right in, but Little Bitty wasn't so sure he wanted to join them. Bearhug *really* wanted him to, and tried to talk him into it, but Bitty wasn't having it.



Instead, he plopped himself down in the sand / gravel next to the sidewalk and started digging his hands in the sand. Next he started piling sand on top of his legs... it's a sensory thing and he was enjoying himself but I wasn't too sure about how sanitary it was, and this particular little patch was a little too close to the road for my comfort.

He refused all my attempts to get him to either go play in the fountain or at least come with me to the other side, where it was just grass and no gravelly sand or road. (I know, I'm a party-pooper). Finally I gave up with logic and just piled his trains (which were on a nearby bench where he'd been playing with them) into Cuddlebug's hat and headed out through the fountain to the other side.

Predictably enough, Bitty freaked out that I was taking off with his trains and followed me into the fountain. He flirted with the water on and off, frequently returning to the bench (the new one on the grassy side) to play with his trains. But he didn't try to go all the way back to the little gravel patch. (score one for Mama!)


For more SOOC Saturday, visit Slurping Life.




If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

6 comments:

Casdok on August 16, 2009 at 4:47 AM said...

Well done mum!!

BenLand on August 16, 2009 at 10:28 AM said...

so sweet....my little guy has that same shirt!!!

Floortime Lite Mama on August 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM said...

he is so cute and you are sooooo smart !!!
Sometimes I think I have learned more about negotiating skills that I did from Leadership trainings LOL

SoCo mom on August 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM said...

Yup, you have to figure out what will motivate them, sometimes!

James loves the sand and gravel too. Unfortunately, he loves to throw it too. We are working on that.

Sounds like you had a fun day!

Puna on August 18, 2009 at 7:49 PM said...

Boys cannot resist rocks and sand.

robin on August 19, 2009 at 10:07 AM said...

Cute pic! My boys love playing in the sand/mud/anything dirty too! I'm glad you knew a way to get him into a safer zone. Sounds like you all had fun!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin