Thursday, August 6, 2009

A smidgen of progress?


Just a quick update on the potty-training front. As I've mentioned before, Bitty does great with #1 in the potty, and to date he has utterly refused to even try #2. For that, he adamantly insists on having a pull-up. I can't really complain, because cleaning up a messy pull-up is sooo much easier than cleaning up messy underwear and I would LOVE it if we could go straight from pull-ups to potty and just skip the whole underwear messification. (I know, TMI and made-up words in the same paragraph...).

Anyway, so today after the success of Operation Oreo in getting a very resistant Bitty to walk - willingly, and without screaming - into the school building after he initially started crying just from pulling into the parking lot, it occurred to me to see if the same incentive plan would jump-start our poop-in-da-pawee initiative.

So when Bitty came to me asking for a pull-up, I made my usual offer of "let's go sit on the potty instead!" and he answered with his usual, "no sit ah da pawee."

But I had the Oreo "card" in my back pocket this time.

The possibility of earning a cookie was enough to get him to sit on the potty, but when it came time to actually doing his business, he just wouldn't stay there. He kept getting up and dancing around, I kept convincing him to sit on the potty again, and he would, but then he'd jump up again.

After much frustration, he finally said, "No here!"

Proud of him for at least trying for the first time, even though in the end he just wasn't comfortable enough with the idea to actually go through with it yet, I finally offered him a pull-up.

I told him it was his choice, and that I was proud of him for getting this far, but that opting for the pull-up would mean not earning the cookie.

I felt kind of mean doing that, especially when he took that important first step of actually sitting on the potty when he had to go #2. But I had already told him the cookie was for actually going in the potty, not just sitting there and I was afraid that offering him a cookie for not actually following through would just undermine my credibility and our efforts in the future, and might even result in him expecting a cookie for doing #1 in the potty when he is already doing that just fine.

He must have understood, because he did not ask me for a cookie after using his pull-up, and he didn't seem upset about it.

I have no idea if this is the start of something, or if it will be months before he makes his next attempt, but either way I'm encouraged and we'll just keep trying!






If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

4 comments:

CC on August 7, 2009 at 10:46 PM said...

Hugs!!!! That #2 challenge is huge for so many.....

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that he was able to appropriately express his frustration ("No here!") and then be o.k. with not getting a cookie. He handled it well and so did you!

I knew an NT boy who was just like Bitty on the #2's. He always required a pull-up to go (he was 4). Then one day out of the blue he just went on the potty and there was no turning back.

Unknown on August 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM said...

Good luck. I hope the Oreo method works out for you. I totally agree with you on not giving him the cookie for sitting there. I would have considered it too, but in the end I think not giving it to him was the right decision.

Anonymous said...

Of course it's a smidgen of progress! =D I think you both did great.

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin