Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Full of surprises!


So Sunday we had a rough day at church. Without going into all the gory details, it involved one major meltdown, a couple of smaller ones, a lot of over-stimulation, and a certain little boy almost getting stepped on a couple of times while rolling on the floor.

We also learned that while the seat-belt clip does in fact keep Bitty from unhooking his seat belt while driving, it does nothing to prevent him from squirming his way out of the seat belt altogether. Sigh. We had to pull over so I could jump into the back to keep him in his seat. Oh, and I'm really, really, thankful for child safety locks on car doors.

Anyway, on a brighter note, we had a few minutes at the beginning of primary where Bitty was actually sitting in his chair and semi-paying attention. Every week they have one of the kids read a scripture and then everyone repeats it along with them.

Well, Bitty heard everyone saying the words together so he tried to join in, only I noticed he wasn’t saying the same words. I listened closely and heard "Ameh-ca... un nay-shuh... iddizibul..."

I thought to myself, is that what I think it is?

I listened some more... "justih fo’ aww"

Sure enough, he was saying the Pledge of Allegiance. :) I don’t think anyone else caught it, but I was beaming – he was doing his best to participate and wow, he actually knows the entire Pledge of Allegiance!

I got him to say it again at home for dh and I took a video. He pronounces things in his own way, but I think he's got some pretty good approximations for some of those big words, no? Here it is:









If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

9 comments:

Floortime Lite Mama on August 25, 2009 at 7:16 AM said...

this kid is one marvelous kid for sure
he did sooo welll

OneProudGrandma said...

He's awesome!!! (No bias here, btw)

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander on August 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM said...

AWESOME IS RIGHT!! Such a handsome little guy!

kristi on August 25, 2009 at 10:19 AM said...

We haven't gone to church in so long. I spent 100% of my time appeasing or redirecting TC.

I sent you an invite to my new blog, to your G Mail account.

Patty O. on August 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM said...

That is so cool! I love it!

We, too, struggle with church. Though Danny is doing so much better, he still doesn't really participate in Sharing or Singing Time. I so wish the Primary president would listen to me when I say that he needs more structure and consistency. Heck, all the kids would do so much better, but the adults just think I am making too big a deal of it.

Muthering Heights on August 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM said...

Woah! I hope you can figure out a way to keep him in his car seat!! I have heard of many kids who do that, and I'm sure their moms figured something out, LOL!

The Farmer Files on August 25, 2009 at 11:55 PM said...

SO precious! I remember when my speech delayed child could say the pledge in preschool and I wanted to cry! This brought back warm and fuzzies for me!

Anonymous said...

He did a fantastic job!!! I loved it!!!! We've been having trouble keeping Daniel in his booster...even without a meltdown. = / Though insistence that he stays that almost triggers one. Sigh.

Alison on August 28, 2009 at 8:57 AM said...

That is a very well-said pledge!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin