Sunday, August 23, 2009

Random notes from the week


Bitty is learning to spell! And more than just Thomas character names ;). He's figured out that letters make up words, and he's become very interested in learning the letters for his favorite words. Here's a few:

O-R-E-O (that one took all of 1 minute to learn, he was motivated!)
N-E-S-Q-U-I-K (on the chocolate milk container)
T-A-R (one of his trains is a tar car, I found that one spelled out on the fridge too)

We're working on "water" now. He knows the first letter :).

~~~~~~~~~~~

I decided to hold off taking the boys to Scouts until this coming week, because last week's meeting was going to be combined with another Scout pack. I was concerned about the large group and overstimulation, and figured we had better odds of having a good first experience with it if we waited until it was just the smaller group. So, the boys will start Scouts this Wednesday.

That reminds me, I still need to sew the pack # patches on their shirts...

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Go-go-bums" (Bitty's pronunciation of "Golden Grahams") has evolved to "go-gree-brams." Getting closer!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Cuddlebug & Bearhug told me they know all 493 Pokemon - in order - from studying their Pokemon handbook. I can ask them any Pokemon and they can tell me who comes directly before and after that one in the book. They can also tell me all about each Pokemon's stats - weight, gender, best moves, which other Pokemon they will be weak to or able to defeat in battle, etc.

I am amazed but not surprised... they have always had such impressive memories. Now if only I could learn them all so I could hold my own in conversation :).

~~~~~~~~~~~

I have noticed Bitty reciting entire scenes from Thomas videos lately. I can't quite make out everything he says, but enough to tell what he's doing. The parts I can understand are word-for-word and I suspect the rest is too. Complete with sound effects :). He's gotten pretty good at imitating sounds.

The other night we were watching the news and he let out a little shriek, imitating a woman screaming on tv (it was one of those home security system commercials). He clearly didn't understand the "scary" nature of the commercial, because he giggled about it. My older boys didn't quite seem to get it either, because Cuddlebug asked curiously, "shouldn't she close the door first?" when she bolted up the stairs to answer the ringing phone (the security guy calls as the would-be intruder runs off).

~~~~~~~~~~~

After getting in trouble for being disrespectful last night, I gave Bearhug one last chance (he was about to lose his game privileges):

"You can say sorry and keep your game time, or you can go straight to bed. You choose." It seemed like a pretty obvious choice to me, but apparently he wanted door #3.

"Can I be sucked up into the vacuum cleaner?" he asked with an exasperated tone.

?!? "Uh, no. No, you can't be sucked up into the vacuum cleaner."

"Yeah, 'Bearhug,' because you're too big!" Cuddlebug chimed in. (so helpful, huh?)

It kind of went downhill from there. He did eventually come downstairs and apologize though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part of Bearhug's crankiness was over-stimulation from the fishing event we went to yesterday. We all had fun, but we paid a price for it because two out of three boys were ornery all weekend from over-stimulation (Bitty and Bearhug).

More on that later, along with pictures (yay!)...






If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

4 comments:

kristi on August 24, 2009 at 11:54 AM said...

Yep, some days it is just easier on everybody to stay home! Hang in there!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander on August 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM said...

Wow, sounds like the boys are doing so well. And wow, their memories are awesome! I can hardly remember yesterday. :)

Sucked up in the vaccuum huh? lol, that's a new one.

Anonymous said...

Geniuses. All 3 of them. Reading about them is always entertaining!

Anonymous said...

lol! I got a kick out of option 3. =D Thanks for sharing a peek into your week.

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin