Friday, June 5, 2009

Today is the big day!


It's been a crazy busy week getting ready for Cuddlebug and Bearhug's birthday! This birthday is especially significant because they are turning 8. For those who don't know, our family belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (aka the Mormons), and in our faith children may be baptized once they turn 8.

For a long time we weren't sure if the boys would be ready for baptism when they turned 8, and given the difficulties they've had with church (mostly sensory-related), we weren't sure if they were going to want to. We figured we'd just play it by ear. It's not uncommon for children with special needs to be baptized at a later age, so we didn't make a big deal out if it.

Earlier this year though, they told us they wanted to be baptized when they turned 8. Given how they take things so literally, they wanted to be baptized EXACTLY when they turn 8 - on their birthday (thankfully not right on the minute, lol).

Since then they have gotten nervous a couple of times and decided they didn't want to, then decided they do want to after all. Anything new is cause for anxiety, so we've tried to prepare them as best we can, and we have reiterated that it is their decision to make, not ours or anyone else's.

Anyway... so I just wanted to share our exciting events of the day. We have several family members (both sets of grandparents and two great-grandmas) traveling here for the weekend so they can celebrate this special event with the boys. They're all arriving today, so it's going to be a crazy day :).

I'll be back with more details later and an official birthday post! In the meantime, feel free to check out my birthday series from last year where I shared their birth story and NICU experience.




If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

8 comments:

Julie on June 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! =D

Becki on June 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM said...

I was baptized in the Mormon church when I was 8. Even though I am no longer Mormon I totally understand your excitement over this. Enjoy this special day with your boys and your family. :)

Unknown on June 6, 2009 at 6:50 AM said...

Happy birthday boys!!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! No, I didn't know - either your faith or the usual age of baptism. I am pleased to learn both.

I look forward to your post on the big event and the family gathering.

Happy Birthday to Cuddlebug and Bearhug!
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing about the big day!

My Three Sons on June 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM said...

Well that is wonderful news. I will be thinking about you and the boys on this very exciting day.

Patty O. on June 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM said...

How did I not know you are LDS? I am, too.

I would so love to hear about how you have dealt with sensory stuff at church. We haven't had the greatest luck with getting people to understand and make changes. It has been a bit frustrating.

Congratulations on the baptism of your twins. That is really awesome!

danette on June 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM said...

Thanks all :) The boys had a great birthday and the baptism went really well.

@Patty - dealing w/ sensory issues at church has been an ongoing struggle... I've written a little about it, and I have a couple of 95% finished posts about it that I have yet to publish. Guess I should finish them up :).

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin