Monday, June 29, 2009

Magic Marker Monday: Badges of honor


A family that lives a few houses down the street from us has a bike ramp that the neighborhood kids like to ride over. Cuddlebug really, really wanted to ride over that ramp too, but he was nervous about it. A few times, he tried only to swerve and avoid the ramp just before he got to it.

He was so proud of himself (rightfully so!) when he worked up the nerve to actually go over the ramp. He did it a few more times and then immediately came home to make himself these two badges:



The one on the left says, "I can't believe I went over the ramp 5 times!" and the other one says, "I ran on the ramp 5 times!"

I was really proud of him too. Knowing what a big deal it was for him, I offered to walk down and take his picture going over the ramp. With a big grin, he said yes, so off we went:





Later when he came home, he taped his badges onto his shirt :).

This was last month. Since then he's been over the ramp dozens of times if not more, and it's not a big deal for him anymore. But his badges serve as a reminder that conquering one's fears IS a big deal, worthy of being acknowledged :).


For more Magic Marker Monday, visit 5 Minutes for Special Needs.





If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

7 comments:

Floortime Lite Mama on June 29, 2009 at 9:07 AM said...

He should be so proud - WOW
If ever R can drive a bicycle( he has some anxiety with being in the air ) I think I shall simply perish with joy

Anonymous said...

Great job!! I love the badges and that he's so proud of himself! He should be!

Anonymous said...

This is how self-esteem is built! Accomplishment!

Barbara

OneProudGrandma said...

Way to go, Cuddlebug! We're so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Love the badges of honor and that he thought to make them for himself. It's a great marker and reminder for him and all of us. Love it!

Childlife on July 5, 2009 at 3:09 AM said...

His creativeness is just amazing! I love that he decided to reward his success by designing his own badges :D I'm tempted to adopt the practice myself -- LOL!

~Michelle @ 5MFSN

UPrinting on July 8, 2009 at 1:48 AM said...

Wow cool! A bike ramp... darn, I wanna try that too! :)

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin