Saturday, June 27, 2009

A day in the life

It's long overdue, but in response to K's idea to do "day in the life" posts, here is mine. Brace yourselves for some intrigue and excitement (haha). :)

This is from last Saturday, June 20 (the one day I managed to take pics throughout the day after many attempts - it's harder to keep up all day than I thought it would be!)

The day started off as most Saturdays do, with Bitty waking me up. He and I are usually the first ones up in the morning. Saturdays I try to sleep in but he typically has other plans. He's gotten so nice about asking for things though, that I can't help but want to get up when he asks me to.

For example, he used to climb into bed next to me and then try to physically shove me over the edge of the bed when he wanted something, followed by pulling my hair and poking my eyes if that didn't work. Resistance was futile, haha.

Now, after well over a year of working with him on using the phrase, "I want ____ (fill in the blank)," he does pretty good with that. At least he does when he's not tired and cranky, and he's usually in a good mood when he wakes up.

So that morning he greeted me with a very deliberate, "I... wah... chwokka-miwk" (chocolate milk). I opened my eyes just slightly and saw him grinning at me expectantly. I smiled back. "What do you say?" I asked gently, trying to wake myself up. He bounced up and down as he answered, "chwokka-miwk... PWEEZ!" Once he got the "I want" part down we figured it was time to teach him to say "please." He does pretty good with that too now, but usually needs the prompt.

I got up to get him a sippy cup of chocolate milk, and stayed up after that.

He and I enjoyed some quiet time together, me half-dozing next to him on the couch as he drank his milk and played with his "letters" toy.

He pulled out some trains to play with.

Cuddlebug came downstairs and joined him.

But before long, Cuddlebug decided it was time to "get some exercise." Cuddlebug has the most boundless energy of any human being I've ever known (and that's saying something, considering his brothers are quite energetic too!).

Bitty joined him and I snapped this picture as he paused in front of the window. I love the soft light around his face coming through the blinds / curtains.

Orion stalks us wherever we go. Seeing him reminded me that I needed to call the vet to schedule his checkup / shots. I wonder if he would still follow me around if he knew that?

A while later, Bearhug woke up and came downstairs.

I decided it was time to go get ready for the day (I did mention it was Saturday, right? that's my excuse for the lazy morning)

Bitty followed me into the bathroom and helped himself to dh's toothbrush (hehe). Just ignore all the fingerprint smudges on the mirror... Bitty likes to play in the water and generally makes a mess pretty much every morning while I'm getting ready for work.

I went back downstairs, picked up a bit, and then relaxed on the couch with my laptop to catch up on some blogging.

Bitty came to me with his mysterious request for the "twigul on da wadder." He pulled me upstairs to the attic to look for it.

I searched but couldn't figure out what he was talking about. I brought down a train for him in hopes that would make up for my failure to find what he was looking for. He was rather unimpressed but he let it go (yay!)

Soon after that I started to feel a migraine coming on. I went through the usual internal struggle of whether to take my medicine right away or wait it out (in hopes that it might not turn out to be a full-blown migraine or might go away on its own). The medicine works great, but it's also expensive (and can make me pretty tired), so I try to only take it when I really need it. I decided I wasn't in the mood to take chances and opted to go ahead and take the medicine.

It knocked me out and I ended up sleeping for most of the day.

~~ ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ~~

(I told you it was an exciting day, lol)

Fast forward to late afternoon / early evening.

When I woke up, dh and the boys were busy playing Lego Star Wars on the Wii. They've been having a blast with that game!

When I went in to check on Bitty, I found this. The entire floor covered in cracker crumbs (those used to be "whale" crackers). Ugh.

He's done this several times since then, apparently it's his latest sensory thing. He crushes the cracker with his fingertips and then grinds the broken pieces into crumbs and spreads them all over the floor. I can see him feeling the texture of the cracker crumbs as he pulverizes them and lets the crumbs fall through his fingers. Nice pastime, huh? And he wonders why I don't like giving him a bowl of crackers anymore (sigh).

Anyway, I cleaned up the larger pieces by hand and then pulled out the vacuum cleaner for the rest.

The boys and I decided to take dh out for dinner to celebrate Father's Day (one day early). With Bitty, we are pretty limited in our restaurant choices so we opted for Five Guys. It's one of the few places we can actually go inside to eat rather than eat in the car, and he usually does pretty good in there.

Dh thought it a little odd that I was taking a picture as we pulled into the parking space outside Five Guys. He found it odder still when I explained that I planned to blog about our day, lol.

Here's Bitty getting out of the car with his trains (which he takes pretty much everywhere) stashed in his shirt.

Cuddlebug and Bearhug prefer to sit at the tables w/ the tall chairs, so we let them pick their own table.

We sat nearby with Bitty, who played with his trains while we waited for our food.

As far as Bitty is concerned, ketchup is a food group (and an important one at that). Dh and I continued to offer him pieces of hamburger and fries to eat with his ketchup.

When we got home, it was dark. Bearhug and Cuddlebug spent a few minutes relaxing in the garage (aka the "man cave" as I call it since dh kicked my car out and transformed it into a guy-friendly hangout). I have to admit he did a good job though, it is a nice hangout :).

Feeling generous, I offered to let them stay up a little late and play Wii...

...but they started fighting so that didn't last long. And then it was bedtime.

If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.


K on June 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM said...

that was great fun to read !!!!
you are so lovely !!!and have such a nice relaxed go with the flow way with your kiddos
i love your boys
and thanks for the coupon tip - R has the same interests as your little guy and I am sure he will be thrilled -plus I bet its great for fine motor

K on June 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM said...

oh and wow on the pretend play skills with the trains

Julie on July 1, 2009 at 7:00 AM said...

I loved it! Thank you for playing! You did a great job taking interesting pictures throughout the day. I know that's hard!!

Kim on July 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM said...

neat idea. i may have to give this a try. of course i'd have to actually find my camera.

thanks for sharing a day in the life.

Printing Company on July 4, 2009 at 1:59 AM said...

Waah.. chwokka-miwk! So adorable. I can just imagine him saying that.
You have a pretty hectic life, I think. Being the only lady in the house is not easy!


About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.


You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal


The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin