Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mesothelioma


Bearhug has been pretty darn near obsessed with mesothelioma ever since he started noticing those lawyer commercials that come on all the time. For any of you who are not inundated with these commercials, mesothelioma is a serious lung disease caused by exposure to asbestos. And the lawyers are running ads about it all. the. time.

He and Cuddlebug are already fascinated by viruses and illnesses in general, and Bearhug is particularly susceptible to the influence of tv commercials (as I've mentioned before, he can quote all the amazing benefits of things like Mighty Putty, Shamwow, and Mighty Mendit, and is convinced that we need these things).

So it was really no shocker when he started asking questions about mesothelioma. It took him a while to get the pronunciation right, but he's got it now. He's a sensitive guy, so he's very intense and somber about his questions.

What is mesothelioma?
Do I have mesothelioma?
Do you have mesothelioma?
Are we going to get it?
Are you going to die from it? (a few months ago, he would have asked if it would "die" you)
How do people get mesothelioma?
Why do people get mesothelioma?

And on it goes... only to come up again a few days later, and a few days after that, well, you get the idea.

Yesterday, he and I were chatting on the couch and one of those commercials came on. He got quiet as his attention turned to the tv.

"If you've been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you have a lot of questions. What can I do? What will happen to my family? ..." the voice on tv droned.

Bearhug said in an almost a whisper (which is way unusual for him), "If I had mesothelioma... I would have doze questions."

Sigh.

I understand it is a very serious illness, but I wish they'd quit showing those commercials because it is stressing out my little man! At least with Mighty Putty I just have to hear about how it can fix ANYTHING and it can even pull a truck, not about worries that we're all going to die. :(





If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

3 comments:

Jen on March 19, 2009 at 9:56 PM said...

I agree... Those commercials are really annoying... Almost as bad as the Sham WOW! commercial...

Anonymous said...

Awww! What a sweet boy. =/ I wish I knew what to say. Daniel is just starting to really notice commercials. He LOVES the Geico gecko. lol!

Rebecca on March 22, 2009 at 10:57 PM said...

Isn't it funny what kids will latch on to?

Hey, I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry for not commenting more. I read you on my Google Reader and often forget to stop by and let you know I'm reading.

((HUGS))

Ya know, I have often wondered just what mesothelioma is too....

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin