Saturday, July 5, 2008

What are boogers for?


This is the question Cuddlebug greeted me with yesterday morning. He has a stuffy nose, so it's no wonder he's curious about the purpose of boogers.

I decided this was a good teaching moment and said, "let's look it up!" And so we did. Google is great, when I as a kid I would have to actually make a trek to the library if I wanted to do a little research on boogers. Now, anyone who is so inclined can do so in a matter of seconds from the comfort of their own home.

Apparently, CB and I are not the first people to ask this question. Google came back with over 1.5 million hits in response to my search for 'What are boogers for?' In case you're curious, boogers (aka mucus) are one of the body's self-defense mechanisms.

We talked about that and I told him that sometimes our bodies make too many boogers and that's how we end up with stuffy / runny noses. I asked him if he needed a tissue to blow his nose, and he said he already did, actually what he said was, "I used the kleenex to pull out my boogers, mama, and then I did a dot-to-dot with them."

Leave it to my son to come up with the idea to do a dot-to-dot with his boogers. Sigh.

As long as we're on the subject of boogers (because it's not a topic I'm hoping to return to anytime soon), here's a trip down memory lane, and one boy's solution to the problem of too many boogers.

That would be Bearhug, when he was about 2 1/2 yrs old. Yep, that's a dustbuster...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is cute! Thank God he's only asking about boogers. Think I can google the birds and the bees talk I'll need to have with mine one day?

Nauntie Lush on July 5, 2008 at 9:23 PM said...

I LOVE IT!! That is the perfect solution to get rid of BOOGERS! Here we just eat them. Or he will teach you the proper "double" picking technique! (Thank you Nintendo and the makers of "Wario Smooth Moves" for teaching my CHILD THAT!)

Yes, and the whole "birds and bees" thing is scaring the crap out of me. One of my friends just had that discussion with her 6 year old. *Falling over dying now*

danette on July 5, 2008 at 10:44 PM said...

LOL - mostly my boys have been more curious about how babies get out of tummies than about how they got there in the first place.

They did ask me that once, though, at bedtime one night so I had to come up with something on the fly. It didn't seem like the right time to get too specific so I just told them that mommies and daddies have special "seeds" that when they get together they grow babies instead of plants. A few days later one of their teachers mentioned to me that they'd been talking about the "seeds" at school, I was so embarrassed but she actually liked that way of telling them.

I guess they were satisfied with that answer (so far) because it hasn't come up again. (whew!)

Trish on July 5, 2008 at 11:21 PM said...

That's great! I try to answer all my Little Guy's questions but boy he asks a lot of them!! We need to start looking things up like that too.

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin