Sunday, July 13, 2008

He's still my little "mama's boy"


I wrote this back in October 2007 about my Little Bitty and how he'd changed, first regressing and then starting to make some progress with help from Early Intervention. Thought I'd share it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little over a year ago, when LB saw me he would run up to me saying "mama! mama!" and holding his arms up for me to pick him up.

A few months later, he rarely said "mama" anymore, but he'd still run up to me with his little arms up to be held.

A little more time passed, and he stopped saying "mama" altogether. When he saw me, he might come over and give me a hug, or want to be held, or he might ignore me and go about his business.

His communication and interaction regressed some more... and I realized that when I came home he no longer even looked up or acknowledged me. He might notice a while later that I was there and come over to be held, but it wasn't quite the same. It was heartbreaking.

Now that LB is in therapy and making progress, I've noticed a reversal of this trend. When he sees me now, he usually comes over to give me a hug or be held. Every now and then, he will say "mama" again, and my heart skips a beat when he does.

The night before last when I put him to bed, I laid down next to him like I usually do (b/c it helps him relax so he can fall asleep). He has a hard time getting comfortable, and he tossed and turned for quite a while trying to find just the right position. Finally, he cuddled right up next to me and put his head on my shoulder. Then he grabbed my hands and pulled my arms around him. I gave him a little kiss on his head, and within a minute or two I could tell he'd finally drifted off to sleep. It was so sweet! I just wanted to stay there holding him and listening to him sleep forever...

2 comments:

Trish on July 15, 2008 at 3:51 PM said...

All I can say (through my tears) is how happy I am for you. It is such a wonderful thing to have communication, isn't it?

Looking forward to hearing some of what you have learned next Tuesday. Thanks for your comment!

danette on July 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM said...

Thank you! Before I had kids I never realized what a blessing even basic communication is, and having had three now with difficulty in this area it's not something I will ever take for granted!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin