Saturday, January 3, 2009

He said it!!! (tears of joy)


"Ah wudoo mama"

As I have done countless times over the last year and a half, I told Little Bitty, "I love you" and then gently prompted him, "say, 'I love you, mama'" I expected the same response I always get - silence and maybe a sweet grin - but yesterday for the first time he actually repeated the words.

"Ah wudoo mama"

If you've been reading my blog for a while you know that I've been trying (unsuccessfully) for some time now to get Little Bitty to at least repeat back the words, "I love you." It took a long time before he reached a point where he started to repeat things back, but for whatever reason, that was one phrase he wouldn't repeat. Maybe because it's not a label or a thing, like "cup" or "train." I haven't been crazy-persistent about it or anything, it's just something I keep trying here and there in hopes that he'd mimic the words.

And yesterday, less than three months before his fourth birthday, he finally did!

"Ah wudoo mama"

Me being me, I prompted him again a few more times throughout the day just so I could hear it again :).

As I've said before, there is communication beyond the spoken word, and regardless of whether he ever said the words, "I love you," I'd still know that he does because he shows it every day in his sweet smile, his tackle-force hugs (sometimes punctuated with some not-so-gentle head-butting), and the fact that he is usually willing to share his crackers (with or without slobber on them). Even so, it still brought tears to my eyes to actually hear him say the words, even if he was just repeating :). I just had to share!




If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

26 comments:

MaricrisG on January 3, 2009 at 9:57 PM said...

This is wonderful news. I can feel your happiness all the way to Charlotte NC :)

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting! I just saw your tweet and KNEW what the post was about before I even read it! I'm so happy for you and I had some tears too, because I know what a huge deal it is!!

Sticky on January 4, 2009 at 1:23 AM said...

How wonderful! I'm so happy for you! Give that boy a big hug!
Brought tears to my eyes...those milestones are huge!

Congrats Mommy!

Unknown on January 4, 2009 at 2:47 AM said...

That is amazing!! Those are the sweetest words a mom can hear.

Big hugs!!!

Jen on January 4, 2009 at 3:54 AM said...

That's AWESOME! Go Bitty!

Terri on January 4, 2009 at 8:01 AM said...

How absolutely wonderful! This is one of those "ponder it in your hear moments." And you will treasure it...

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander on January 4, 2009 at 1:09 PM said...

That is fabulous! I am so happy that he said it. Us mothers know how much we mean to our children, but to hear them verbally is heartwarming and wonderful!

Congrats to the little guy too! That's a great big step and I am so proud of him!

Mel on January 4, 2009 at 1:36 PM said...

I have tears here!!! Sweetest phrase ever.

Khadra on January 4, 2009 at 6:23 PM said...

this is wonderful!!! yay!!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings on January 5, 2009 at 12:04 AM said...

I can't get my 2-year old to say it either. I'm working on him, but no go. This is great news for you and I can read how happy you are! Congratulations!

My Three Sons on January 5, 2009 at 12:04 AM said...

What a great thing to hear!!!! I hope he says it on a regular basis for you.

Kaci

Rebecca on January 5, 2009 at 10:21 AM said...

I know the joy you are feeling, this is fantastic!

Penelope on January 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM said...

What a sweet thing to be able to hear! It's such a wonderful milestone!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!!! I was just going to comment a few posts back how much improvement there seems to be in Little Bitty's expressive language. What a blessing!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a nice way to begin the year! I bet he and the other kids have even more surprises up their sleeves for the future! ;)

Jenny on January 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM said...

Oh, yay!! That's so wonderful! What a great way to start your new year!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us!

Be sure to visit me tomorrow (hint, hint).

Barbara

Meg on January 8, 2009 at 11:17 PM said...

Yay, yay, YAY!!! Been there, know that feeling! Awesome milestone, congratulations to both of you!

The Farmer Files on January 9, 2009 at 5:53 AM said...

Aww precious! So happy for you! This touched my heart! Just NOW catching up with everyone! I am so behind! Happy New Year!

CC on January 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM said...

HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best words ever.

Patty O. on January 10, 2009 at 9:09 AM said...

Wow, that is wonderful!! These milestones are so precious. I remember when Danny started allowing us to hug him and then when he finally started initiating hugging and/or snuggling and it was amazing. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to make me happy!

kathleen on January 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM said...

That's just lovely..I especially like where you know without the words..but through his smile and big hugs and..soggy crackers!! Wonderful!

Becca on January 17, 2011 at 1:48 AM said...

What a sweet story! I hope it has continued to happen since then :)

Unknown on January 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM said...

That is awesome. I can share your joy as I have also dealt with this and had the joy of hearing my son say those very same words. Big hugs to your family.

MommyToTwoBoys on January 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM said...

So sweet! I remember wanting those words so badly too! Now that he CAN say it, he just chooses not to.

Jen on January 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM said...

I am still waiting to hear those words and know exactly how overjoyed you must have been so I am grinning like a loon here reading this :D Thanks for joining in Blog Gems. Jen

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin