Friday, December 11, 2009

A glimpse...


Every now and then we get a brief glimpse into what Little Bitty is thinking about. The "inner Bitty," if you will. As I have mentioned before, truly spontaneous speech, unprompted and unscripted, is rare. On the other hand, there is insight to be found in speech of the prompted and/or scripted variety too, of course. I have a whole other post coming together on that ;).

So, we've been helping Bitty learn to pray, now that he is beginning to show interest and even wanting to participate in family prayers for the first time. It's very cute to listen to him, although a bit painful on the ears as he likes to shout his prayers, with ear-splitting emphasis on the last word in every phrase (think Dick Vitale on steroids and with a bullhorn, and you're at least getting close, lol).

Since we started out by helping him with what to say and letting him repeat each phrase, he quickly took to saying the whole thing on his own, with every phrase said twice, lol. Just the way he heard it, right?

The words are hard to make out, but I know that Heavenly Father understands every word :).

Somewhere along the way (because we hadn't gotten to the step of teaching him this part yet) he figured out that part of praying is expressing what you're thankful for. He hears his big brothers giving thanks for everything under the sun in their prayers (I soo love listening to them :)). Maybe he interprets it as listing things that make you happy, who knows, but the result is pretty much the same. Because the other night, that's what he started doing, all on his own. He even stopped screeching as he said:

"(mumble mumble) Cwow nie... ["Cloud 9" is the name of a game he has that he likes to play with]
(mumble mumble) Thomas...
(mumble mumble) books...
(mumble mumble) chwocka miwk...
(mumble mumble) Appoo Jacks..."

I interpreted the indecipherable mumble to be something along the lines of "I'm thankful for." He finished it off with a rousing "Ay-MEH!!!" (had to bring the screaming back to finish up strong, lol) and dh and I just looked at each other.

"Did he just list the things he is thankful for?"
"Yeah, I think he did!"

If we had asked him, "Hey Bitty, what are you thankful for?" he would not have been able to answer. The most likely response would be, "fay-thul por" (thankful for).

And yet, in the context of offering a prayer, he was able to share some of the things he is thankful for. It was a blessing to hear him.

He hasn't done that again since, but he has *sort of* toned down the shrieking when he prays, and that is a blessing too ;). I'm sure the neighbors down the street who could probably HEAR his loudness think so too, hehe.






If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

7 comments:

Symphony of Love on December 12, 2009 at 5:50 AM said...

That was just too sweet. It is good to start young. :)

Territory Mom on December 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM said...

I love this. You might have a preacher on your hands. So funny!!

Anonymous said...

Well, language is not my thing, but this reminds me of how I try to 'set-up' a child to move. Repeated standardized circumstances with prompts.

And then of course, the help of Heavenly Father. ;)

Barbara

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! We're working on prayers, too, but Daniel only repeats things he's heard me say. I would looooove to hear what he's thankful for. =) Someday. Thanks for sharing this. It's something to look forward to and was heartwarming to read!!

Patty O. on December 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM said...

Wow, that is amazing! Isn't it wonderful when we get to see a bit into their heads. So sweet! I just picture Heavenly Father smiling up in Heaven when he hears prayers like these.

My Three Sons on December 16, 2009 at 3:04 AM said...

My oldest son loves to say the prayer. It is really nice to see him step up and be so passionate about our prayers.

I think that is sweet that he is thankful for the little things in life. If I could join him....

I'm thankful for Land of Lakes butter making the half stick portions now. I'm in heaven. LOL

I cooked a little tonight, can you tell?

Marie on December 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM said...

Too sweet. My little guy is in his early talking stages too and it is fascinating to learn a little more as he begins to talk more.

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin