Monday, December 7, 2009

Getting ready for Christmas (lots of pics!)


This year has been especially fun getting ready for Christmas, thought I'd share some pictures of our tree-decorating escapades...

First there was the trip to Walmart to pick up a few remaining decorations that we needed. Aside from climbing everything in sight (which I did not get pictures of, too busy trying to get them down), the boys tried on some festive headgear :). Little Bitty and Bearhug tried out some Santa hats while Cuddlebug tried on some antlers.




Then it was off to Lowe's to pick out a tree. It would have been fun to go to a tree farm to pick out a tree, but Lowe's is closer and less expensive... :). We tried to go as fast as possible, knowing that we were already at the limit of overstimulation thanks to having to stop at Walmart first, not to mention just the excitement of the whole tree-adventure.



Bearhug took a break from tree-hunting to climb the fence :/





This is what happens when I ask the boys to stand together for a picture...


And when I clarified, "umm... try standing *next to* each other... and smile!" this is what I got (lol):

At least they managed to stand next to each other long enough for a picture of all 3 together, it's rare!)


Then the boys and I waited in the car while the tree was loaded on top.


As we pulled out, Bearhug asked, "was I good in there?" We shrugged and said, "pretty good." (all three of them were pretty wired and pinging off the walls by the time we were ready to check out, but they stayed in control and no meltdowns, so we considered it a success. Bearhug said, "thanks for not yelling at me, because if you did I would've had to hit myself in the head." Uh... well, I'm glad we didn't have any need to yell then (I'm glad we didn't need to yell anyway, we don't like to but sometimes it's the only way to get their attention).

Then it was back home for decorating. I didn't actually get to take any pictures until we were almost done (and dh was busy outside putting the lights up). It was pretty chaotic for a while there, the boys couldn't wait so they kept running in and out of the house while I got the decorations out of the boxes (they were joined by our neighbor's dog at one point, our cat was unimpressed, lol). The three of them practically smothered me as I put the hooks on the ornaments... I couldn't get those hooks on fast enough! Finally we reached some ornaments that already had hooks on and I was able to snap a few pictures :).






I really love these two pictures of Bitty. In this one, he's inspecting the almost-finished tree with his hands clasped in excitement...


And here I just like his expression looking at the tree in the soft light.



And a couple of tree pictures. Of course we have a Texas longhorn ornament :)








If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful post, Danette! Your photos are always great and your honest and loving words give added meaning to the love you and your dh have for your boys.

Thank you and I clasp my hands in anticipation of the big celebration myself. Barbara

Rachel on December 8, 2009 at 12:32 AM said...

Sounds like you guys had a Christmas tree adventure too!

First off... LOVE all the photos! And I have no idea how you do it - I have my hands full with just ONE little boy!

Our Itty Bit would love Bitty's Cranky the Crane shirt! In fact, if he'd met him while we was wearing it, you could bet my boy would not leave Bitty alone :)

And Good Grief... how'd you get the tree to look so gorgeous with having little ones around? Let's just say that our tree looks pretty good for the top two feet, and the bottom half looks like... well it looks like Itty Bit stuffed a cannon with ornaments and let 'er rip.

Loved this post!

Kari on December 8, 2009 at 7:39 AM said...

Loved all the photos Especially the 2 of Bitty. So Precious!!
I just love it when little ones ask if they have been good. It means that they really were trying their best :)

Beverly on December 8, 2009 at 10:51 AM said...

what a great tree! looks like a fun time decorating. love that photo of the three boys in the back of the van looking out!

Floortime Lite Mama on December 8, 2009 at 8:40 PM said...

love love love the pics - your boys are soo amazing and so cute
And you are brave for venturing out with 3 kiddos ( NT or autie does not matter - 3 kids is a lot to keep an eye on )
what do you think he meant when he said he would need to hit his head ?

Floortime Lite Mama on December 8, 2009 at 8:41 PM said...

you know your link no longer updates on my list - I was thinking of you today after I read your comment and toddled over here to tell you I missed you and here are new posts

Anonymous said...

I can feel their excitement!! =) I love that picture of Bitty looking at the tree with the light on his face. What a sweet boy!

Anonymous said...

you know looking at the photos you got of the three of them together just made me thankful for them - that they have each other. truly a blessing.

(i also tried not to be jealous of christmas tree shopping in short sleeved T-shirts!)

CC on December 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM said...

Hurray!!!!! Such fun pictures! :) :)

danette on December 11, 2009 at 8:24 AM said...

@Barbara - thanks :)

@Rachel - lol, our older boys are fairly experienced tree-decorators and they helped :) Bitty was putting all of his in a little clump right next to each other, so I moved the chair he was standing on and that forced him to at least expand the clump out a little bit. And dh did a little rearranging after the boys went to bed ;).

@K - he hits himself in the head with his hand sometimes when he gets frustrated, so I'm pretty sure he meant he was glad he hadn't gotten frustrated enough to do that (and apparently if we had gotten on his case he would have!). I actually thought it was pretty insightful of him to make that connection and comment on it.

@rhemashope - I too am so grateful that they have each other, it is a blessing! lol about Christmas-tree shopping in t-shirts, I hadn't even thought about that :) If the boys had their way they'd have been wearing shorts, but it wasn't *that* warm :). We've had to break out the coats since then, it got cold in a hurry. On the flip side, I will try not to be jealous of the areas that will have snow for Christmas, it's highly unlikely here!

Alison on December 13, 2009 at 5:02 AM said...

Such fun times - your pictures are great!

Patty O. on December 14, 2009 at 9:07 PM said...

I love the pictures!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin