Thursday, December 11, 2008

Potty, potty, potty!


Just a quick update on potty-training with Bitty. He's been doing really well with #1 as long as we're home and he can easily get his clothes off. Just like his brothers at that age, he's not cool with just pulling his pants down, they have to come off. At least he doesn't insist on also taking his shirt and socks off (if he has them on to begin with)...

Whenever he has to go, he just takes his pants and underwear off so when we see that we know to ask him if it's potty time. He'll repeat back, "paw-ee tie" and go running for the bathroom. Yay!

One day I was upstairs when "potty time" struck, and he came running to find me. I heard him coming up the stairs saying, "Mama? Mama? Oh nooo!!!" uh-oh, lol. He didn't have an accident, the "oh no" was because he wasn't sure where I was. We made it though!

So that's the good news. The not so good news is that other than that first day, he has shown NO interest whatsoever in doing #2 in the potty. In fact, we can tell when he has to go, because he'll come and ask for a pull-up so he can do his business in that. We try saying no in hopes that he'll eventually go to the potty, but he just holds it (or going in his underwear if he can't hold it anymore, yuck). So for now, if he asks a couple of times we'll go ahead and give him the pull-up. When he's done, we have him go with us to the bathroom to flush it before we throw the pull-up in the trash. We're hoping that will reinforce the idea that poop belongs in the potty, not in the pull-up.

So, we're getting there. Next we'll start working on going potty other places (he surprised me by using the potty at church last Sunday, yay!), staying dry at night, and eventually phasing out the pull-ups altogether.




If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

7 comments:

Jenny on December 11, 2008 at 10:53 AM said...

Yay, progress! Now that I've got my daughter potty trained, I need to start thinking about training Jackson. I'm not sure I'm ready for that!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander on December 11, 2008 at 12:40 PM said...

Yay! Any progress is better than none. It took Izzy a few weeks to get pooping in the potty. I however skipped pull ups. When Izzy had one on, she thought it was a diaper. So, we went straight to undies and never looked back. Yes, I did have to clean poop out of them but she quickly learned so I can't complain.

Good Job and congrats on all the success!

Patty O. on December 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM said...

Would you mind coming to my house to work on my daughter? She is not progressing at all. I did buy some m&ms today, so I am hoping that will be an effective incentive...

Anonymous said...

that is such awesome news!! We were starting to potty train Sneaky Monkey but he was havinga fit at school so his teacher said that we should hold off and give it a go after the holidays but for sure they are going to start Angel Eyes on the potty training the day after they get back to school from the holidays. That will be fun - 2 being potty trained at the same time. How did you do it?

Anonymous said...

Good potty progress, Bitty!

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear about his progress! Daniel regressed a bit and often does #2 in his underwear. Ugh.

I gave you an award over on my blog! Have a great weekend.

Kim @ What's That Smell on December 13, 2008 at 9:52 AM said...

Hey congratulations on the success so far. I don't miss this...but alas I have to go through it once more.

With my son we had to strip him neked and let him play he had a couple of accidents that way and HATED the pee on his legs and feet. It was pretty easy after that. The first time we went to the store without a pull-up on it took me about 4 hours to grocery shop because we kept running back and forth to the bathroom.

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin