Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Try This Tuesday: Does your child like science?


Photobucket

One day I found Bearhug sitting on the couch reading.

"Whatcha reading?" I asked.
"Bloggy," he answered.

"Bloggy?"

I looked at the cover of his book. "Oh, Biology." LOL

We found the book at his school's book fair a couple of months ago. He and Cuddlebug liked it so much, we picked up a couple of other corresponding books for Christmas, "Physics" and "The Periodic Table."

These books are full of interesting scientific information, written and illustrated in a fun way that kids enjoy reading. By now, Bearhug and Cuddlebug have read all three of them cover to cover and continue to refer to them almost every day. Each topic has a one-page summary and a cartoon-like illustration.

Here are some excerpts:

Biology: Life as we know it!
Virus - "I'm an itty-bitty stalker who doles out large helpings of doom... Luckily for you, T Cell and the rest of the immune system are there to drive me away." (they cracked up laughing and read "large helpings of DOOM!" over and over, lol, they are fascinated by viruses)
T Cell - "A member of your body's special forces, trained to kill invaders."
Leaf - "My job is to bask in the sunshine all day long, soaking up as much light as I can. Ah! Sounds like bliss, but I'm no slouch. I make all the food for a plant."
Warning - includes topics like sperm ("I'm a little guy with a big job"), egg, and baby in womb ("I think I might be the most amazing thing the human body can do."), nothing too explicit but it did spark some questions. Lucky for me (haha) we have already had a discussion about that so when they asked me about sperm all I had to say was, "remember the 'special seeds' I told you about a while back? Those are called 'sperm' and 'eggs.'" And they were good with that. :)

Physics: Why matter matters!
Gravity - "I am a mystical mover and shaker, and my field of operations is the vastness of space."
Proton - "A big, chunky hunk of positivity, I hang out in the middle of an atom - the nucleus."
Einstein - "The original absent-minded professor with his crazy hair and even crazier ideas, Albert Einstein was a superstar scientist who took the world by storm."
Electromagnetism - "I stop you from sinking through your chair and your hand from going through this book."
Quark - "We come in six different 'flavors' called Up, Down, Top, Bottom, Strange, and Charm. That may sound to you as if we're just missing Dopey to complete the seven dwarfs, but we don't want to hear your wisecracks!"

The Periodic Table: Elements with style!
Chlorine - "I'm a mean, green, killing machine... I'm even bad enough to battle bacteria in the toilet bowl!"
Gold - "I am not the rarest or the most expensive element, but I am the world's most wanted." (the boys went on and on about the "most wanted" lol)
Oxygen - "I am the powerhouse behind most chemical reactions on Earth."

Bearhug and Cuddlebug have learned a lot from reading these books. Heck, dh and I have learned a lot too from all the interesting facts they've shared with us as they've read them. If you have a child who is interested in science I would recommend these.

On the topic of science, here is a website that the boys found through school that you might like to check out: http://brainpop.com/science

For more Try This Tuesday, visit 5 Minutes for Special Needs.






If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

12 comments:

Mel on February 10, 2009 at 7:10 AM said...

Oh wow these sound like great books!!! Especially if they spark more questions for the kids.

My Three Sons on February 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM said...

Those look like good books. I always had to go to Borders because my oldest son Coltan loves Science and has always been like that.

annies home on February 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM said...

I love books that keep our kids attention thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Those look great! I've never seen them before. Thanks for sharing!

Sticky on February 10, 2009 at 12:27 PM said...

Wow, great books! Thanks for sharing, my son will LOVE!

Patty O. on February 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM said...

These sound awesome. I know my husband would love them, too. Years ago, he bought a kid's encyclopedia of science and it tickles him that Danny likes to look at the pictures. I will have to check them out.

Anonymous said...

these sound awesome!!! now that Little Man is starting to read he might be interested in them.

Anonymous said...

Am always on the lookout for good books to share with my students and readers, so am especially glad this came across my desk. I'm definitely going to go looking for these titles; will also share them and the brainpob website in my next school-wise e-newsletter. Thanks so much.

CC on February 11, 2009 at 1:04 PM said...

cool, cool, cool! I'm gonna look them up!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look like fun books. Love the sperm definition! =)

Trish on February 13, 2009 at 10:29 AM said...

These look adorable! I bet Michael would love them. :)

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Staci A on February 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM said...

What neat books! I've never heard of them before, but I'm sure my son would love them. I'll have to keep an eye out for them!

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Time Portal

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin