Friday, May 16, 2008

A Brief Introduction


I am the mom of 3 little boys - 6-yr-old twins and a 3 yr old. Our twins were diagnosed with autism and sensory integration disorder at age 3. Looking back, there were signs of autism from birth but we didn't recognize them at the time. We knew they were "different" from other kids but we were first-time parents so didn't always realize how different, and when we did we just attributed it to being preemies or twins or boys... until finally by age 3 we knew there was more to it than that.

They have come a loooong way since then! They are now in a regular ed class with resource support through the ASD program at school, and they have pull-out as needed for therapy, sensory breaks, or if they need a quieter environment for something that requires extra focus. They still have challenges, mostly in the areas of communication, social skills, and sensory, but they have amazing talents also.

Our little guy's development was on track until somewhere between 15-20 months, he had started to say a few words and he pointed a lot, but he lost some of those words and stopped pointing altogether. He made less and less eye contact and would rarely respond to his name. It was a gradual change, but by 22 months the signs were stacking up. We talked to his ped at his 2-yr checkup and started the process of having him evaluated. He enrolled in early intervention and was diagnosed with autism at age 2. At age 3, he "graduated" from EI to the early childhood pgm through the school. He's doing well so far, still not talking much but he is interacting more and starting to imitate, which he wouldn't do before.

My husband is a full time SAHD, and has been since our twins were 6 weeks old. His background is in education, and he does an awesome job with our boys.

The reason I started this blog is to have a place to write down all the cute, funny, and frustrating things my kids do all the time. It will be great to look back later and see all the progress they've made. Also, to raise awareness about autism. If there's one thing I'd want people to know about autism, it's that people with autism may be wired differently, but they have the same desire to be loved (however they express it), feelings, and talents just like everyone else. I truly believe that many of the struggles that those with autism and their families go through could be lessened by increasing awareness and acceptance in society.

And, in the midst of it all, you'll find some random thoughts about whatever else is on my mind at the moment, just like the title says :).

4 comments:

Bonnie sayers on July 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM said...

Nice blog you have. Great news about the pull out at school for sensory breaks. I reviewed a book on my ASD site recently about improving speech and eating and it explains how to implement an oral motor program. I want the aide to do this at school. I took the stanley greenspan online course and the post conference with OT ROsemary White on sensory processing disorder. I bought two DVDs from amazon that I need to read and review on sensory issues.

Karen K. on January 18, 2010 at 7:56 PM said...

I really enjoyed looking around your blog today and will be back soon! I am the Mom of two boys on the autism spectrum and shortly after they were diagnosed, I realized that I am on the spectrum too.

You've put together such a beautiful layout. I'm just starting a blog myself but would like to customize it more. Great work! :-)

danette on January 19, 2010 at 8:15 AM said...

@Karen - welcome, and thanks!

Wahzat Gayle on May 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM said...

you are an inspiration! I am happy I found you.
I have four children one boy three girls, the last two are twin girls. My son the eldest at 9 is on the spectrum. He is high functioning though not that chatty unless it is about the wiggles or thomas the train. LOL
I love the upbeat tone of your blog, which is fabulous considering you have three children on the spectrum. It is rare to find such positivity. ( ok I think I made up that word LOL)
Ok this is getting long. Keep on inspiring and I am sure I will be popping by some more :)
this other blog is more family oriented
http://wahzat.spaces.live.com

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin