Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Comforting others


Here's one for my journal... my boys are such sweet blessings :).

~~~~~~~~~~~

I started feeling a headache come on as I was leaving work to head home. Due to icy roads it took longer than usual to get home, and by the time I got there I thought it might be a migraine. But it wasn't too bad yet and I knew dh and the boys had been waiting for me to get home so we could get out before the roads froze over yet again.

I took my migraine medicine and headed out the door, hopeful that it would start feeling better by the time we got there.

I should have known better...

It just kept getting worse and soon the pounding in my head was joined by nausea. Not good. Dh suggested I go try to rest in the car and I didn't argue. Of course, Bitty is my shadow when I'm home so he came with me.

He was oblivious to the fact that I wasn't feeling well (still working on recognizing those non-verbal cues), and wanted me to read to him. I knew he wouldn't understand "migraine" and probably not "headache" either, so I just told him "Mama's sick. How about if you read to me instead?"

He agreed but must have found something else to do because he never actually did start reading.

Soon dh and the boys came out to the car and were ready to go home. As we walked into the house, Cuddlebug gave me a close, intense look (which I only saw because I had to open my eyes enough to see where I was going). He must have been taking in the hands on my forehead, squinted eyes, and probably a grimace to go with it, because he said in a concerned tone, "Mom, that looks like it really hurts!" "yeah," I answered, "but I'll be fine. I just need to rest." I didn't want him to worry. He patted me on the arm. "I hope you feel better, Mom." So sweet.

The next morning I woke up and it wasn't gone so I had to take a sick day. Bearhug came in to see how I was doing. I tried to smile and told him I was a little better and just needed to rest some more. A few minutes later, he came back carrying his dinosaur pillow pet, which he named "Tri" because he's a triceratops.



"Here's Tri, you can cuddle him if you want."

What a sweetheart :).

A few minutes later he came back. "I decided dat since you stayed with me all night when I was sick, I should come sit wif you." (he had a really bad ear infection recently, all better now thank goodness!)

"Aww, that's really sweet honey, but you don't have to."

"I'll enjoy it!"

Bless his heart. He brought his DS and the new app he'd downloaded that's a music game. The music is actually pretty relaxing, so he thought that might help. Turns out it did, and I was eventually able to fall asleep.




If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.
 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin