Friday, May 14, 2010

"Outrageously"


Cuddlebug tends to use certain words and phrases over and over (sometimes repeatedly in the same conversation). Like stopping every 20 seconds to say "and guess what?" before continuing on with what he was saying.

His latest word is "outrageously." For example, T-rex's are "outrageously powerful." (he and Bearhug are really into dinosaurs right now).

One night as I was tucking them into bed, Cuddlebug told me, "heyMomguesswhat?... silly bands are outrageously poplee-ar. Everybody at school has at least one. Some people have LOTS of dem."

For those who don't know what silly bands, er, silly bandz are, they are basically rubber bands made in different shapes - animals, musical instruments, fruits... you name it, there is probably a silly band for it.



He and Bearhug have been bringing silly bands home from school, most of them earned from the "treasure box," and some traded with other kids I think. When I finally got around to looking them up on the internet (because the boys REALLY want the dinosaur ones) I found out that apparently these things are "outrageously poplee-ar" around the country, not just here.

I have to say I was really impressed to hear him say that. Usually our boys are into whatever THEY are into and if other kids like it too that's fine and if they don't, that's fine too. Nothing wrong with that, I rather like that they are individualist in that way, and not following the crowd. :) But I thought it was great that he had *noticed* a trend at school, and even more so that he actually cared. That's quite the social awareness IMO :).

And I will admit, I am also relieved that the "in" thing at my sons' school turns out to be relatively inexpensive too :).





If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read about this recently but did not give it much thought. Agree with you, the importance is in whether your sons notice and respond by choice to the trend.

That kind of relief is much too rare.

Barbara

Floortime Lite Mama on May 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM said...

darling sooo glad you are back i have missssed u !!!
Love the post - social referencing is a great ability
congrats

Teena in Toronto on May 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM said...

I don't think silly bands have made their way here ... so colourful!

Happy blogoversary :)

kockajäveln on May 15, 2010 at 5:30 PM said...

Happy blogoversary:)

MommyToTwoBoys on May 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM said...

I have never heard of Silly Bandz. I will have to check it out. But I totally get the getting hooked on a phrase or word. We have a lot of that going on over here.

Wahzat Gayle on May 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM said...

This is huge! It sure means that he is aware and can communicate about it :)

Oh wow looking forward to the day that my son is age appropriately aware LOL

 

About Me

My Photo
I'm a mom of three boys on the autism spectrum, 11-yr-old identical twins and a 7-yr-old. My husband is a SAHD.

Welcome!

You're visitor #
Locations of visitors to this page

Quotable

The button

Everyday Adventures

Blog stuff

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Add to Technorati Favorites

© 2011 Everyday Adventures

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin